Galations 5:22

But the fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,
faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.

Galations 5:22

Looking for the TUESDAY TO DO PARTY?

The Blackberry Vine
CLICK PICTURES FOR CURRENT PARTY

Friday, July 16, 2010

7 Layer Bars or Magic Bars


Ok, you might think it is absurd that I would share such a popular recipe with my friends in blogland, but then I remembered...I hadn't even had the pleasure of trying these until my 30's!!!  A sweet lady named Mary Rhea shared her recipe with me.  We worked together and she brought these for one of those "potluck" days.  She thought I was crazy the way I went on & on about them.  They are sooo easy and sooo good.

Sooo, if you've never had these, here is the way too simple recipe.  You can adjust the fillings to your tastes...I add extra coconut & pecans!  Enjoy!

1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (a sleeve)
1 - 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate morsels (a 6 oz package)
1 cup english toffee bits
1 1/3 cups flaked coconut (3.5 oz can)
1 cup chopped walnuts (I use pecans or a mixture of the two)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a 13 x 9 inch baking pan, melt butter in oven.  Remove from oven; add graham cracker crumbs.  Mix well and press into pan.  (now, this is where I do it a little different from her recipe...add the sweetened condensed milk last...)  Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over crumbs.  Sprinkle chocolate morsels, toffee, coconut and nuts on top;  press down firmly. 
Bake at 350 degrees for 25 - 30 minutes.  Cool completely on a wire rack.  Cut into squares and enjoy!

I made these a least a dozen times last summer when we were at my brother's ranch...easy to have all the ingredients with you and clean up is minimal.  Yummers!

11 comments:

Marie@Procrastinating in Pink said...

Those look soo good! I'm always looking for yummy, new sweets! Thanks for sharing!

Entertaining Women said...

Well, YUM! Feel free to send some my way anytime. I'll be making these soon. I particularly like the idea of adding the English Toffee Bits. ILY Cherry Kay, the M-I-L

More Entertaining Women said...

Wow. These look like Hello Dolly bars from way back. Yummm! Thanks, Jamiann! Love your scrummyumptious call ball pops! LOVE your blog. I have a lot to learn but observing your and you m i l's blogs, I'll surely catch on!

Bonnie said...

my family will love you tonight! Thanks for the recipe

Mandy@ a sorta fairytale said...

Thanks so much for this recipe!! :-)

Organic Girl said...

Great Recipe and I am a new Follower!! Organic Girl

Amie said...

My husband LOVES these! Thanks for the comment love. :)

Lolly Jane said...

this looks sooo yummy! :)

i'm your newest follower, thanks for visiting last week!-what a fun blog you have!

Suzanne said...

I'm like you- didn't have them until my 30's and fell in LOVE with them! Thanks so much for sharing a great and Easy recipe!!!!

Norma Lee @ Norma Lee Good said...

Yes, you posted this in July. I am aware that it is now in fact December. I am just now getting around to commenting on all the posts I have saved in my reader. SO YOU KNOW that if I am just now responding- that I really liked it! This looks delicious and I hope my mom gets the hint when she opens her email and sees this recipe in her inbox. thanks for sharing!

Goofy Girl said...

OMG! I had these last night at a Girl Scout meeting. They were wonderful but not too sweet! I think I am in love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails